November 16, 2008

Weekly Featured Artist - Christy of My Lil' Doodle Bugs

I just love custom 'one of a kind' items and when it's hand made it's even more tempting!! Christy from My Lil' Doodle Bugs fills that description perfectly with her gorgeous hand painted items... can't you just imagine your childs names on some (or all) of her unique pieces??


Tell us all about yourself and your craft?
Hi, My name is Christy Price and I am a stay at home mother of two precious, crazy, and energetic toddler boys (a 4 year old and 2-1/2 year old). I am also the artist behind My Lil' Doodle Bugs. I specialize in custom children's artwork and gifts. Custom Wall Hangings, Growth Charts, Name Panels, Hair Bow Holders and more. Everything is personally hand painted on canvas. I can match fabric or any room decor. It's a wonderful way for my clients to take part in the design process and create something truly one of a kind for their loved ones.

How long have you been creating your craft?
I have been painting my whole life, but didn't really start children's artwork until I was pregnant with my first son. I couldn't find the right artwork for his room. Theme, size, colors, etc. I had an idea of what I wanted - but I just struggled finding the right piece. So I decided to create it myself. I ended up painting a 36x36 wall hanging. It was the perfect size for over the crib. Later, I started making things as gifts -- for birthdays, baby showers, and holidays.
After receiving such wonderful feedback --- I started My Lil' Doodle Bugs this past April..
So although I have been painting for many years, My Lil' Doodle Bugs is still relatively new. I’m still learning -- and having fun along the way.


What is one of the biggest lesson you have learnt about your craft & selling it?
My biggest lesson learned from craft selling would probably be to value my customers. I try to put TLC in every painting that I do. Every piece is personal to me. It incorporates my vision along with my clients. So listening and valuing what they say is a huge part. So many people think they are not creative --- but they are. I love to hear their ideas and coming up with something truly unique.
I love seeing people’s faces once they see the finished product. In return I hope they come back again and tell all of their friends about My Lil’ Doodle Bugs


Which of your items did you have the most fun creating & why?
Oh wow. That’s a toughy. If I had to pick one I would have to say that I love making my growth charts. I love the fact that they are personalized, not only with a name but with the décor of the child’s room or interest. I also love the idea that this is something that will be charting the child’s growth. Being that they are made of canvas --- they can be easily rolled up and stored away --- and us mom’s can easily go back and take a sneek peek of how big our little ones have grown.
They just get big too fast! ------ That reminds me of something funny my 4 year old said the other day. He told me that he wanted to put a brick on my head, so I wouldn’t get bigger or older. Don’t you wish that you could do that??? I love this age my boys are in.


Is there a basic 'household' item you use when creating that seems to work just as good if not better than the actual 'tool'?
......Hmm..... I don’t want to give away all my secrets. Just kidding!
I had to really think on this one. I guess I do have one. I always pre-sketch out my paintings in pencil before I paint them. I free hand everything except my polka dots. When I am doing a polka dot background --- I like to draw and lay out my polka dots by tracing them with a shot glass. It makes perfect size circles. And you get two different sizes with one shot glass. A smaller polka dot and a larger one.

What is your favourite candy bar & why?
Ok, I am going to sound soooo boring. My absolute favorite candy bar is a classic Hersheys Chocolate bar with almonds (but in the freezer). I love chocolate and nuts. But then I love it really cold. It's a weird thing I do --- I do the same to my Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies. Love them freezer cold.
Told you pretty boring.


If money, responsibilities, and time were no issues where in the great wide world would you go & why?
Oh that is such an easy one. My dream vacation is to go to Italy. I dream of spending my time in Tuscany and along the Amalfi coast.
Along with painting, I am a big foodie. I love to cook. I would love to go and just take a cooking class there--- sampling food from the outdoor markets ---- drinking wine!....ahhh...ok, back to reality!

You an also check out more of Christy's items at her blog www.mylildoodlebugs.blogspot.com which she is using as her portfolio.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my! Love those HAPPY paintings as children will surely be inspired by them too! Great feature, Giggle!

Anonymous said...

Her stuff is adorable! Great feature!